Talk to an expert in the Middle East
We can help establish or grow your business in NSW, or to export products from NSW to customers in the Middle East.
Trade and Investment Commissioner - Middle East
Moin Anwar has twenty-nine years’ experience in international business expansion, including 12 years in his current appointment for NSW. Major achievements in this appointment have included achieving major investments into privatised NSW assets, and the expansion of a major Middle east airline into Australia. He is currently focused on driving shared economic prosperity by growing trade and investment linkages between NSW and the Middle East region.
Moin’s prior appointments, include being a founding member of the leadership team at Dubai Exports, where he was Director Export Services. He has also held appointments in the region with the Australian Consul General and Austrade.
Moin has an honours degree in economics and accountancy from City, University of London.
Abu Dhabi office
Australian Embassy Floor
Al Muhairy Centre
PO Box 110649
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
In 2021-22, two-way trade between NSW and countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC - Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates) was $1.8 billion, with UAE accounting for $1.1 billion.
The GCC is home to 6 of the world’s 12 largest sovereign wealth funds, who have invested heavily in Australia and NSW. Every major asset revitalisation project in NSW in the past 12 years have received investment from the GCC. Focus investment areas include clean economy, infrastructure, logistics, technology and hospitality.
NSW was a major partner at Expo 2020 Dubai and used the platform to launch a multi-sectoral engagement campaign in the UAE to promote NSW priority sectors and capabilities.
Grow in NSW
- Diverse climatic zones range from pristine beaches to alpine regions and agricultural zones support production of many safe, high-quality food and beverage products.
- NSW’s resilient economy has been a driver of Australia’s growth for decades, funding the largest current infrastructure spending program at AU$97 billion.
- With 11 public universities in the world’s top 200, the state is also Australia’s top destination for international students, including tens of thousands from India.
Export opportunities from NSW
- Build on Australia’s reputation for clean, green produce to promote premium food and beverage in the GCC.
- Support food security aspirations in the Middle East, by promoting the services of NSW’s world-leading agtech providers.
- Capitalise on NSW’s reputation for its safe, efficient and high-quality health sector to promote medtech and consumer health services to UAE and Saudi Arabia.
- Leverage government-government partnerships and the momentum of Expo 2020 Dubai to accelerate market entry for NSW businesses in the Middle East.
Last updated 11 July, 2023