Space to the United States of America
Eligible businesses could apply for free support to expand space technologies or services to the US, and explore US Department of Defence procurement and commercial opportunities. Applications have closed.
December 2021 to June 2022
37th Space SymposiumExternal Link , Colorado, 4 to 7 April 2022
Why this market
Australia and the US are deepening their long-standing relationship around space. Recent activities include the Equatorial Launch Australia’s collaboration with-and the bilateral Technology Safeguards Agreement.
As Australia’s strategic partnership with the US enters a new growth phase, there are opportunities for NSW businesses to explore growing defence and private sector space industry needs in the US.
More than 52% of the world's space technology companies are based in the US and the US spends more on space than all other countries combined. According to SpaceTech AnalyticsDownload File , the US Government’s space budget is almost US$23.3 billion.
The Colorado Space Symposium is the major global B2B space event attracting key industry stakeholders from around the world and providing a platform to connect, learn and network with the space industry.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have between 3 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Have a valid ABN (Australian Business Number) registered for NSW
- Have a commercial product or service
- Have a website featuring the product or service (marketing and promotional costs might be reimbursed through the NSW Export Assistance GrantExternal Link )
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the market
- Have a product or service that is produced primarily in NSW
- Be willing to travel to Sydney for events and to the selected market (where and when COVID-19 restrictions permit travel), and must cover their own travel expenses
- Not be considered a trader (meaning the Program is for businesses that produce and add value in NSW)
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Market-ready product or service
The ideal participant
- Market-ready product or service at a technology readiness level of 5 or moreExternal Link (indicative)
- Funding or revenue to expand to the US market
- Plans to scale to the US within the next 12 months
- Demonstrated growing customer base
- Ideally have innovative space related technology or services or products and services that are aligned with US Defense procurement opportunities
Some businesses are not eligible for this program
- Products or services that are pre-revenue or not market-ready
- 2020–21 Going Global Export Program “US” participants
- Welcome session
- Space and defence briefing, and commercial opportunities in the US market
- Pitch training and pitch deck development
- Private mentoring from a space industry leader
- Advice on intellectual property protection, if needed
- Advanced exporter training, if needed
Market intelligence briefings and go-to-market Strategy
- US market briefing and subsector-specific opportunities
- US market specific business culture and etiquette
- Introduction to the Colorado space ecosystem and doing business in US
- US regulatory considerations
Potential partner search and introductions
- Targeted 1:1 business matching by a space industry leader
- Virtual or physical participation at Colorado Space Symposium, 4 to 7 April 2022
- Potential partner introductions to help grow your US network
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Applications closed on 14 November 2021.