SaaS to the United States of America
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to export SaaS (software as a service) products and services to the USA. Applications have now closed.
January to April 2023.
SXSW 2023External Link : March 10-19 2023 I Austin Texas
Why this market
California is a global tech powerhouse and is the home to approximately 15,000 software as a service (SaaS) companies in the United States, with around 14 billion customers worldwide. Some of the largest SAAS companies in the world hail from the US including Salesforce, Shopify, and Adobe which makes it a thriving and collaborative ecosystem.
As of 2021, 61.3% of all SaaS companies in the world are located in the US (Source: ZippaExternal Link , 2022) and by 2025, the SaaS industry in the US is expected to reach a market value of $225 billion.
North America is the global leader in producing start-ups, with 47% market share, making it an exciting destination for NSW companies.
- Welcome session – January 2023
- Introduction to the SaaS ecosystem and doing business in the USA
Market intelligence and cultural training
- Market briefing and subsector-specific opportunities/ key trends US SaaS market
- Market specific business culture and etiquette
- How to fundraise in the US
- Pitch coaching workshop
- 1:1 training for pitching for business or investment
Potential partner search and introductions
- Participation at tradeshow [or a business-matching event] – with In-market assistance and logistical support from Investment NSW
- Introductions to potential partners, scale up partners, customers and investors
- Targeted 1:1 business matching
- 1:1 mentoring from an in-market expert for the duration of the program
Ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) registered for NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have an employee number between 5 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- The product or service must be produced primarily in NSW
- The product or service is achieving sales already
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the new market
- Be flexible regarding market-entry method
- Have resources to support marketing and development for a new market
- Be willing to travel to the selected market (where and when travel is permitted) and/or to Sydney for events, and must cover own travel expenses
Note this program is designed for NSW businesses who produce and own their own brand. This program is not for aggregators, traders, or businesses who sell services to exporters
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Funding or generating revenue to support US market expansion
- Clear pathway to profitability or already a profitable business
- Have already identified potential customers and partners in the US and/or already have some market traction
- Commitment to setting up in the USA in the next 12-18 months
When completing the Application Form, in addition to responding to the questions, please provide the additional information.
- Question 25 - Your capacity (100 words max): Outline the team you have leading the US expansion
- Question 26 - Your unique selling point (300 words max): Provide 3 items:
- USP for the US
- the names of your key competitors globally;
- your company/product advantage over each of the competitors
- Question 27 - Do you have collateral translated (100 words max): instead, list the Industry verticals you’re targeting in the US (to ensure we can facilitate the introductions required during the program)
The ideal participant
- Unique and innovative SaaS product
- Compelling proposition for the US market
- Have established a US product-market fit
- May already have some enquiries/leads in the US market
- May already have a US employee or US team in place
- May already have US customers or partners
- Have global business experience
Businesses not eligible for this stream
- Service providers and consultants
- Previous Going Global Program participants “to the USA”
How to apply
Applications have now closed and applicants will be notified of the outcome around 6 December 2022.
Note: Apply for your preferred market - you can apply for and participate in only one stream.