Processed and packaged food and beverage to Vietnam
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to export premium packaged food and non-alcoholic beverages to Vietnam. Applications have closed.
December 2021 to March 2022
Food and Hotel VietnamExternal Link , 27 to 29 April 2022
Why this market
Vietnam has a large, youthful, increasingly wealthy and still-growing population. The food and beverage sector in Vietnam also offers high-growth opportunities for retailers.
Boasting one of the fastest-growing consumer markets in emerging Asia, Vietnam food spending is set to grow 8.6% year on year between 2021 and 2025 (Fitch Solutions, 2021).
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the packaged food sector is leading sector growth, expanding 26% in the past 3 quarters, and is expected to grow 16% after the pandemic (Kantar Worldpanel Division, 2020).
Australia and Vietnam are parties to 3 Free Trade Agreements (AANZFTA, CPTPP, RCEP). To food and beverage manufacturers in NSW, Vietnam presents many exciting opportunities.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have between 3 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Have a valid ABN (Australian Business Number) registered for NSW
- Have a commercial product or service
- Have a website featuring the product or service (marketing and promotional costs might be reimbursed through the NSW Export Assistance GrantExternal Link )
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the market
- Have a product or service that is produced primarily in NSW
- Be willing to travel to Sydney for events and to the selected market (where and when COVID-19 restrictions permit travel), and must cover their own travel expenses
- Not be considered a trader (meaning the Program is for businesses that produce and add value in NSW)
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Products or services successfully commercialised in the Australian market
The ideal participant
- Existing exporters
- Manufacturers and producers of non-alcoholic beverages and premium packaged food (including meat, dairy, pastry, snacks, health and functional food)
Businesses not eligible for this stream
- Horticulture (for example, fresh fruit and vegetables)
- Alcoholic beverages
- 2020–21 Going Global Program “Vietnam” participants
- Welcome, program objectives, participant introduction, Q&A
- The Vietnamese food and beverage market, market size, segmentation, distribution and sales channels, opportunities, challenges and barriers to entry for Australian origin/made products
- Intellectual property protection
- Export essentials including INCOTERMS, freight, logistics and contracts
Market intelligence and cultural training
- Vietnamese business etiquette, cultural awareness and negotiation principles
Market opportunities, import requirements and preparation
- Vietnamese sector/sub-sector opportunities
- Importing and regulatory requirements including packaging and labelling
- Developing your brand message and preparing your pitch (includes pitch deck translation)
Partner introductions and business matching
- Virtual product showcase
- Identification of and introduction to potential partners
- Targeted 1:1 business matching and pitch presentations
Assistance and support
- Specialised NSW Government support from the Vietnam-based Investment NSW team
Program debrief, ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Applications have closed
Applications closed on Friday 29 October 2021.