Mining Equipment, Technology & Services (METS) to Indonesia
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to export mining equipment, technology and services to Indonesia. Applications closed on Sunday 4 June
July to September 2023
International Mining & Mineral Recovery ExhibitionExternal Link in Jakarta, 13-16 September 2023
In-person attendance at the event is required
Why this market
Indonesia is a major player in the global mining industry, with immense mineral reserves and production, including coal, copper, gold, tin, bauxite and nickel. The mining sector has contributed to Indonesia's economic growth over many decades. Indonesia is an important market for Australian METS companies, given its proximity and long-held business ties. Indonesia's mining industry has been growing, driven by increased demand for commodities and growth is expected to continue, providing opportunities for Australian companies to expand their business in the market. By 2050 Indonesia is predicted to be the fourth largest economy in the world.
The 2020 Indonesia–Australia Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (IA-CEPA) is helping Australian METS companies to grow exports. Lower tariffs and improved foreign investment rules mean greater opportunities for the NSW METS sector.
The Indonesian Government is pushing to create demand for nickel mining to enter the global EV supply chain. Indonesia has nearly a quarter of the world’s nickel reserves, and the country is expected to account for half of the global production increase in nickel between 2021 and 2025.
There is limited in-market capability in mining technology and services, which provides significant export opportunities for NSW METS companies who can clearly demonstrate cost-savings, productivity gains and operation optimisation. Demand also remains strong for mining software, mining consulting, specialised systems and innovative technology, environmental management and waste solutions.
Indonesia is also a springboard for other ASEAN mining markets, with many Jakarta headquartered miners having strong connections in other key regional mining markets.
- Welcome session – July 12
- Introduction to the METS ecosystem in Indonesia
- Access to self-serve factsheets/videos developed by the Export Council of Australia exclusively for Going Global participants
- Access to Intellectual Property protection briefings from IP Australia
Market intelligence briefings and cultural training
- METS opportunities in Indonesia
- Market specific business policies, regulatory requirements
- Doing business Indonesia and Indonesian business culture
Preparation to meet potential partners/customers
- Help refining your pitch and market entry strategies
- 1:1 mentoring
Potential partner search and introductions
- In-person attendance at Mining Indonesia 2023, 13-16 September 2023 with NSW Government support led by Investment NSW’s in-market trade team
- Tailored searches for potential business partners
- 1:1 business matching introductions
Ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser.
*note: the curriculum is subject to change
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) registered for NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have an employee number between 5 and 299* full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- The product or service must be produced primarily in NSW
- The product or service is achieving sales already
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the new market
- Be flexible regarding market-entry method
- Have resources to support marketing and development for a new market
- Be willing to travel to the selected market (where and when travel is permitted) and/or to Sydney for events, and must cover own travel expenses
*The 299 threshold for maximum number of employees is confined to the METS to Indonesia stream and preference will be given to SMEs < 200.
Note this program is designed for NSW businesses who produce and own their own brand. This program is not for aggregators, traders, or businesses who sell services to exporters.
The ideal participant
- Committed to pursuing opportunities in Indonesia
- Ideal product and service categories:
- Mining and mineral processing equipment, technology, supplies and consumables
- Mine safety and monitoring equipment, technology and systems
- Exploration services and supplies
- Environmental management and waste solutions
- Professional and technical training services related to mine safety and workforce development and upskilling
- Geological and mining consultancy and engineering services
- Mining software and specialised technologies to enhance productivity and safety and reduce cost, downtime, and environmental impact (i.e. IoT and remote communication solutions, advanced visualisation, augmented reality and artificial intelligence, big data management and analysis, geoscientific information management, geological modelling, mine planning and optimisation, and mine production reporting)
- Mineral testing and weighing systems
How to apply
Applications closed on Sunday 4 June
Applicants will be notified of the outcome around 20-21 June
Note: Apply for your preferred market - you can apply for and participate in only 1 stream.