Mining Equipment, Technology & Services (METS) to Canada
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to export mining equipment, technology and services to Canada. Applications closed on Sunday 19 November 2023.
December 2023 to May 2024
Number of hours you’ll invest in sessions prior to travelling in-market:
Approximately 1-3 hours per week in sessions, not counting any optional activities or work your business may need to do outside of sessions.
CIM Connect Convention and ExpoExternal Link, 12-15 May 2024 in Vancouver, Canada
In-person attendance at the event is required
Why this market
- Canada ranks 28th as a destination for NSW’s exports worth $258 million in 2021-22, creating significant room for growth.
- Canada produces over 60 minerals and metals and ranks high globally for production of gold, coal, iron ore, potash, copper, nickel, diamonds and industrial minerals. There is high demand for innovative equipment, technology and services to enhance mining efficiency, safety and sustainability.
- With over 3,700 mining and METS companies, Canada’s strong economy ensures consistent demand. Canada’s interest in cutting-edge solutions aligns with our METS sector capabilities in NSW.
- Mining practices and challenges are often similar in Australia and Canada. NSW METS businesses can offer solutions already adapted to the requirements of the Canadian market.
- Canada has a similar culture, language and regulatory framework to Australia, which reduces the barriers to entry.
- Approximately 75% of the world's mining companies are headquartered in Canada. Canada is a gateway to the US market which has a high demand for METS products and services.
- Both NSW and Canada are increasingly focused on sustainable mining practices. NSW METS exporters can leverage this common interest by offering environmentally conscious technologies and services.
- Welcome session – date TBA
- Introduction to METS ecosystem and doing business in Canada
- Access to self-serve factsheets developed by the Export Council of Australia exclusively for Going Global participants
- Access to Intellectual Property protection briefings from IP Australia
Market intelligence briefings and cultural training
- METS opportunities in Canada
- Market specific business policies and regulatory requirements
- Doing business in Canada and Canadian business culture
Preparation to meet potential partners/customers
- Help refining your pitch and market entry strategies
- 1:1 mentoring
Potential partner search and introductions
- In-person attendance at the tradeshow with NSW Government support led by Investment NSW’s onshore and in-market teams
- Tailored searches for potential partners
- 1:1 business matching introductions
Ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser.
The curriculum is subject to change
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) registered for NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have an employee number between 5 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- The product or service must be produced primarily in NSW
- The product or service is achieving sales already
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the new market
- Be flexible regarding market-entry method
- Have resources to support marketing and development for a new market
- Be willing to travel to the selected market and/or to Sydney for events, and must cover own travel expenses
Note this program is designed for NSW businesses who produce and own their own brand. This program is not for aggregators, traders, or businesses who sell services to exporters.
The ideal participant
- Committed to pursuing opportunities in Canada
- Already achieving sales internationally
- Delivers the following product and service categories:
- Advanced mining and mineral processing machinery and equipment, technology, supplies and consumables
- Resource characterisation and exploration technologies
- Mineral processing and handling technologies
- ESG solution to mining industry
- Mine site safety and monitoring equipment, technology and systems
- Advanced automation and robotics solutions for mining operations
- Mining software and specialised technologies to enhance productivity and safety and reduce cost, downtime, and environmental impact
- Innovative water management solutions
- Innovative tailings management solutions
- Equipment and technology to integrate renewable energy solutions into the mining industry
Businesses not eligible for this stream
- Already mature in the Canadian market
Applications closed on Sunday 19 November 2023.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome around 1 December 2023.
Note: Apply for your preferred market - you can apply for and participate in only 1 stream.