Food and Beverage to the United Kingdom
Eligible businesses can apply for support to export food and beverage products to the United Kingdom. Applications closed on Sunday 12 November 2023.
November 2023 to March 2024
International Food & Drink Event (IFE)External Link , 25-27 March 2024
Why this market
The Australia-UK free trade agreement came into effect in May 2023, eliminating 99% of tariffs on Australian exports to the UK. The FTA is especially pertinent for Australian food and beverage exporters as, historically, trade barriers were restrictive, often preventing the commercial viability of the market. The removal of these barriers has substantially improved market access and reduced associated costs for NSW companies.
The UK and Australia are closely aligned strategically and culturally, reducing the level of risk and complexity exporters face in their international expansion journey. The similarities in business landscapes and legal systems makes the UK an attractive market for early exporters.
- Welcome session – around 11 December 2023
- Introduction to Food and Beverage ecosystem and doing business in the United Kingdom
- Access to 13 self-serve factsheets developed by the Export Council of Australia exclusively for Going Global participants
- Access to Intellectual Property protection briefings from IP Australia
Market intelligence and cultural training
- Market briefing and sector-specific opportunities
- Market specific business culture
- Regulatory requirements
Potential partner search and introductions
- In-person participation at International Food & Drink Event (IFE) London, 25-27 March 2024, with in-market assistance and logistical support from Investment NSW
- Identification of potential partners
- Targeted 1:1 business matching and introductions
Ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser.
*note: the curriculum is subject to change
Number of hours you'll invest in sessions prior to travelling in-market
Approximately 6 hours, not counting ‘optional’ offerings or work your business may need to do outside of sessions.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) registered for NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have an employee number between 5 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- The product or service must be produced primarily in NSW
- The product or service is achieving sales already
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the new market
- Be flexible regarding market-entry method
- Have resources to support marketing and development for a new market
- Be willing to travel to the selected market and/or to Sydney for events, and must cover own travel expenses and a portion of the cost of the trade show ticket
Note this program is designed for NSW businesses who produce and own their own brand. This program is not for aggregators, traders, or businesses who sell services to exporters
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Be up to date with reporting of sales outcomes derived from previous Investment NSW support (please contact [email protected] if you need to update your reporting.)
- Trademark registration for the United Kingdom - or be prepared to complete registration before 22 December 2024
- Product registration for the United Kingdom - or be prepared to complete registration before 15 January 2024
- Product stock is already in the United Kingdom - or be prepared to have stock samples available in market by 15 January 2024
- Ensure product stock for trade show is shipped by 15 January 2024.
The ideal participant
- Experience in exporting and has already made efforts to export to the United Kingdom
- Annual turnover minimum amount of $1 million (AUD) in the last 12 months
- Have a distributor of third-party logistics provider in the United Kingdom or willing to contract with one by 31 January 2024
- Have a dedicated employee managing international expansion
Businesses not eligible for this stream
- Exporters already earning more than $250k (AUD) from UK customers in the last financial year
- Live seafood and fresh produce
Applicants who have not previously participated in a Going Global Program to the United Kingdom will be given priority to participate in this stream.
Applications closed on Sunday 12 November 2023.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome around 17 November 2023.
Note: Apply for your preferred market - you can apply for and participate in only 1 stream.