Digital Games to Europe
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to export digital games products and services to Europe. Applications have closed.
June to November 2022
Gamescom (held in Cologne from 24 to 28 August 2022) is the world's largest event for computer and video games and Europe's leading business platform for the games industry.
For the first time, Australia is a partner country at Gamescom. This provides a rare opportunity for NSW gaming studios to exhibit their products and services to European representatives at the Australia stand.
Why this market
Europe is one of the most lucrative markets for video game consumption in the world, ranking 3rd for revenue share in global games markets (behind North America and Asia Pacific).
The European games market is dominated by Western European countries such as Germany, UK, France and Italy. The total revenue for Europe's games industry in 2020 was £23.3 billion, according to a report by the Interactive Software Federation of Europe and the European Games Developer FederationExternal Link .
Germany is a favoured location for innovative start-ups – thanks to a combination of moderate costs, excellent infrastructure and large talent pool for international gaming companies. Home to 48 million active gamers, Germany is Europe’s largest gaming market and has seen a greater surge of online games than any other European country.
Germany is a global hub for online and browser game production thanks to German companies such as BigPoint, Gameforge and Wooga. Germany also attracts international gaming companies with its highly skilled internationally minded workforce, state-of-the-art IT infrastructure, industry events and government support.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have a valid ABN (Australian Business Number) registered for NSW
- Have a commercial product or service
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product for the market
- Have a product that is produced primarily in NSW
- Be willing to travel to Sydney for events and to Europe (where and when COVID-19 restrictions permit travel), and must cover their own travel expenses
- Not be considered a trader (meaning the Program is for businesses that produce and add value in NSW)
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Number of full-time equivalent (FTE) employees between 5 and 199
- Market-ready product or service
The ideal participant
- Well-resourced for expansion
- Some customers or qualified leads in Europe
- Unique and innovative digital games product
- Compelling proposition for market
- Awareness of competitors
- Is willing to commit to Europe for the long-term
Some businesses may not be suitable for this program
- No customers and/or not earning money yet
- No plans to sell into Europe within next 12 months
Market intelligence briefings and cultural training
- Doing business in Europe, including culture, etiquette and costs
- Europe digital games landscape
- Subsector-specific opportunities in Europe
- Finding the right channels to market
- Europe specific pitch deck development
- Feedback from in-market experts
Go-to-market strategy development
- Customised go-to-market strategic advice
- Education on competitor analysis, user research and testing, team building, budgeting, and sales and marketing
- Product deep dives and customer needs analysis
Industry opportunities, potential partner introductions and business matching
- Targeted 1:1 business matching (for example, introductions to potential business partners, customers and investors)
- Mentoring with Europe industry leaders and Australian executives that have expanded business into Europe
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Applications opened on 29 April 2022 and closed on 22 May 2022.