Defence & Aerospace to the United States of America
Eligible businesses can apply for support to export Defence and Aerospace products and services to the USA. Applications open on Monday 6 November and close Sunday 26 November 2023.
February to April 2024
Number of hours you'll invest in sessions prior to travelling in-market:
Approximately 15 hours in online preparatory sessions, not counting optional activities or work your business may need to do outside of sessions.
Sea-Air SpaceExternal Link on 8-10 April 2024 in Maryland
- In-person attendance at the event is required
- Participants are also required to register to exhibit on the Team Defence Australia stand – Registrations open 13 November 2023; please register hereExternal Link in addition to filling in the NSW Application below.
Why this market
The United States spends close to $800 billion annually on national defence, amounting to 12% of federal spending and 3.5% of GDP. The U.S. spends more on defence, relative to the size of its economy, than any other member of the G7.
The US Department of Defence (DOD)’s 2024 budget proposes $842 billion in discretionary spending – a 3%, or $26 billion increase from current levels. Specifically, the budget calls for $9.1 billion for the Pacific Deterrence Initiative, $6 billion in support for Ukraine, and $37.7 billion to continue U.S. nuclear arsenal modernisation.
Additional priorities include unspecified spending to optimise and modernise U.S. shipbuilding, bolster cybersecurity programs, provide robust funding for biodefence and pandemic preparedness, and to procure an assortment of both manned and unmanned combat aircraft.
While the proposed 2024 budget proposes a 3.2% increase in overall defence spending, non-defence spending would rise at more than twice that rate in the next fiscal year.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) registered for NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have an employee number between 3 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- The product or service must be produced primarily in NSW
- The product or service is achieving sales already in NSW
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the new market
- Be flexible regarding market-entry methods
- Have resources to support marketing and development for a new market
- Be willing to travel to the selected market and/or to Sydney for events, and must cover own travel expenses
Note this program is designed for NSW businesses who produce and own their own brand.
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Compelling proposition for the U.S. market
- Already established a U.S. product-market fit
- May have already identified potential customers and or partners in the U.S.
- A product or service that can be exported to the U.S. within the next 12 months.
Businesses not eligible for this stream
- Businesses that provide project management, advisory services, or academic institutions
- Applicants should not have previously participated in a Going Global Program to the USA
Introductory sessions and market intelligence
- Welcome session – February
- Market briefing on the U.S. defence and aerospace ecosystem and opportunities for NSW businesses
- Intro to financing options
- Go-to-market/sales strategy
- Setup (business registration, tax and structure)
Preparation to meet potential partners/customers
- 1:1 calls to learn about the business’s export readiness and needs
- QUAD chart development
- Pitch improvement
- Identification of potential business partners/ opportunities
- Pre-departure briefing
Introductions to potential partners/customers
- In-market assistance and logistical support from Investment NSW
- Targeted Business matching meetings
Ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser.
*note: the curriculum is subject to change
How to apply
NSW Going Global Export Program
Applications for Defence & Aerospace to United States of America open on Monday 6 November 2023 and close Sunday 26 November 2023. Applicants will be notified of the outcome around 11 December 2023.
Team Defence Australia Registration
Sea/Air/Space exhibitors are also required to register on the Team Defence Australia (TDA) website between 13 November and 15 December 2023.