Cyber Security to the United States of America
Eligible businesses could apply for free support to export cyber security products and services to the US. Applications have closed.
December 2021 to April 2022
2022 USA | RSA ConferenceExternal Link , San Francisco, 7 to 10 February 2022
Why this market
The US is the number one export market for NSW cyber security firms.
Worth US$21.14 billion in 2019, the United States is the world’s largest cyber security market.
Driven by demand to safeguard data, secure privacy and prevent expensive cyber-attacks, the global security industry is on target to reach US$270 billion by 2026. The US Government spent US$17.4 billion on cyber security in 2020, with over 50% spent by the US Department of Defence.
Cyber security solutions that are in high demand include data management , privacy, policy and compliance, detection and response, security awareness and training, password management and insurance.
Under the Australia-US Free Trade Agreement, Australian companies can access the US federal government's procurement market (valued at over US$535 billion) and the markets of 31 US state governments.
With Australia in the Five Eyes Partnership, Australian companies are also well positioned to capitalise on the US demand for cyber security products and services.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have a valid ABN (Australian Business Number) registered for NSW
- Have a commercial product or service
- Have a website featuring the product or service (marketing and promotional costs might be reimbursed through the NSW Export Assistance GrantExternal Link )
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the market
- Have a product or service that is produced primarily in NSW
- Be willing to travel to Sydney for events and to the selected market (where and when COVID-19 restrictions permit travel), and must cover their own travel expenses
- Not be considered a trader (meaning the Program is for businesses that produce and add value in NSW)
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Have between 5 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Demonstrated ability to grow customer base in Australia
- Funding or revenue to support US market expansion
The ideal participant
- Has already established US product-market fit
- May already have a US employee or US team in place
- May already have US customers or an anchor client in the US
Some businesses are not eligible for this program
- 2020–21 Going Global Program “US” participants
- US Pitch Program – one-on-one coaching to help you sell your product/ service to US clients and how to pitch US venture capitalists for funding
- Hacking US Procurement – workshop to understand the US public sector procurement processes and how to access these opportunities
Market intelligence briefings
- US Cyber Market Intelligence – regional briefings from US experts on cyber security export and expansion opportunities in key locations
- Crossing the Pacific – small group workshop with Australian cyber security leaders that have successfully set up in the US
- US Cyber Ecosystem in NSW – tailored session to meet and ask questions of leading US cyber security companies or users in NSW
- Securing US Clients – tailored services to diagnose your needs and introduce you to US customers, distributors, and partners
- Key US Cyber Users – dedicated session on programs and opportunities with US defence, healthcare and financial services companies
In-market assistance and logistical support
- RSA 2022 San Francisco – virtual or in-person attendance at RSA, plus on-the-ground export support from NSW Government officials
- Venturing for US Capital – information on the US private equity ecosystem and advice on how to secure a deal
- US Cyber Ecosystem Networking – one-on-one introductions to key US influencers and stakeholders
- Ongoing support to expedite your US market entry, including advice on setting up and travelling to the market
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Application closed on 14 November 2021.