Wine to the United States of America
Selected businesses can apply for a 50% discount on Wine Australia’s US Market Entry Program 2022-23. Applications have closed.
July 2022 to June 2023
Run by Wine Australia, this program provides in-market support to wineries interested in entering or re-entering the US market.
- deliver a customised business plan and market strategy
- send wine samples to the US for review and distribution upon customer interest
- collaborate with importer brokers, media outlets, and trade and media contacts
- identify and target suitable import and distribution partners, and facilitate subsequent meetings
- assess your route to market options.
You'll also receive support in communications, marketing, import logistics and trade outreach to assist entry-to-market and brand exposure.
Refer to the Wine Australia website for learning objectives and outcomes.
Why this market
The USA is the world’s largest wine market, with the largest population of regular wine drinkers and the second largest amount of imported wine (by value).
Wine exports from NSW to the US has increased by 64% in volume and 29% in value since 2020.
Wine consumption has been increasing in the United States. Since 2005, the average annual consumption per resident has increased by 33% to a high of 11.7 litres in 2020. The United States consumes the largest volume of wine of any country, at 33 million hectolitres in 2020 (Statista).
According to Wine Australia, in 2020, the USA market consumed 101 million cases of imported grape wine valued at nearly US$ 14 billion.
Australia is the third largest source of wine imports into the US by volume (13%) behind Italy and France, and fourth largest by value.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have between 3 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Have a valid ABN (Australian Business Number) registered for NSW
- Have a commercial product or service
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product for the market
- Have a product that is produced primarily in NSW
- Not be considered a trader (meaning the Program is for businesses that produce and add value in NSW)
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Products or services successfully commercialised in the Australian market
- Participants must meet clause 6 in Wine Australia’s requirements
The ideal participant
- Has already established US product-market fit
- May already have a US employee or US team in place
- May already have US customers or an anchor client in the US
The program costs AU$12,500 (ex GST) per winery, and the NSW Government will contribute AU$6,250 (ex GST) per participant.
If you are selected to participate in this program, your contribution will be AU$6,250 (ex GST) to Wine Australia.
Applications have closed
Applications closed on Tuesday 20 September 2022.