Premium Beverage and Food to Japan
Eligible businesses can apply for support to export alcoholic beverages and natural and organic food products to Japan. Applications have closed.
December 2022 to June 2023
FOODEX Japan, 7 to 10 March 2023
Why this market
Japan is the third largest economy in the world. Australia is seen as a trusted, secure and safe supplier of food and beverages because of our strict quarantine policy, advanced food safety and quality assessment systems. NSW’s partnership with Japan is strong and mature, providing a solid foundation for NSW exporters seeking to enter the Japanese market.
There is an opportunity in the Japanese market following the hosting of the Olympics Games (Tokyo 2022) which sparked a rush of development in major cities across Japan, adding a host of new hotels, restaurants, bars, and cafes.
Japan has re-opened for tourism. Hospitality and food service markets are providing opportunity for food service suppliers especially alcoholic beverages – wine, craft beer and ciders.
- Welcome session
- A review of your readiness for the Japanese market
Market intelligence and cultural training
- Japanese food and beverage ecosystem, channels and supply chains
- Competitor review including supply chain margin
- Export pricing for the Japanese market
- Market entry strategy, optimal channels and access and buyer criteria
- Japanese business etiquette, cultural awareness and negotiation principles
- Pitch development and articulating unique selling points for the Japanese market
Potential partner search and introductions
- Business matching in Japan by specialist provider
- In-person attendance at Foodex, 7-10 March 2023 with NSW Government support led by Investment NSW’s in-market trade team
Ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) registered for NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have an employee number between 3 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- The product or service must be produced primarily in NSW
- The product or service is achieving sales already
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the new market
- Be flexible regarding market-entry method
- Have resources to support marketing and development for a new market
- Be willing to travel to the selected market (where and when travel is permitted) and/or to Sydney for events, and must cover own travel expenses
Note this program is designed for NSW businesses who produce and own their own brand. This program is not for aggregators, traders, or businesses who sell services to exporters
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Already exporting to at least 1 overseas market
- Willing to adapt to complex Japanese requirements
- Able to respond to enquiries from Japan quickly and flexibly to build relationship trust
- Items labelled ‘organic’ must be compliant with Japanese Agricultural Standard (JAS)
The ideal participant
- Priority will be given to alcoholic beverages including wine, craft beer and ciders
- Low and zero alcoholic beverages will be considered
- Health and functional foods, natural and organic foods, including fruit, vegetables, dried fruit and nuts
- Unique, price competitive and consistent quality
- Product has (or can be adapted for) a 12-month shelf life, 10 degrees display shelves
Businesses not eligible for this stream
- Packaged food and prepared meals
- Pet food
- Bottled water and soft drinks
- Businesses who participated in a previous round of Going Global Program “to Japan”
How to apply
Applications have now closed and applicants will be notified of the outcome around 23 November 2022.
Note: Apply for your preferred market - you can apply for and participate in only one stream.