Medtech to the United Kingdom
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to expand medical technologies to the UK. Apply by 12 December 2021.
January to June 2022
Med-Tech Innovation Expo, 8 to 9 June 2022
Why this market
With an aging population and chronic conditions driving demand, the UK’s medical technologies sector turns over A$40 billion annually.
NSW businesses have an opportunity to capture a much larger share of the UK market with the Australia-United Kingdom Free Trade Agreement seeking to reduce barriers to digital trade. Demand for international solutions to address local health needs is increasing, with the UK importing AU$16 of medtech in 2020.
The National Health Service (NHS), is committed to digital transformation and a significant buyer of medical technologies, accounting for 85% of UK healthcare provision. Additionally, many multinational life sciences companies maintain offices in the UK, including AstraZeneca, Roche, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson.
Medtech clusters can be found throughout the country. Areas of opportunity include clinical diagnostic tools and decision support systems, advanced data analytics, wearables and integrated devices, telehealth and remote monitoring, and disease prevention.
Market intelligence briefings and cultural training
- Doing business in the UK, including culture, etiquette and costs
- The UK medtech landscape
- The Australia-UK Free Trade Agreement
- Subsector-specific opportunities in the UK
- Finding the right channels to market
- UK-specific pitch deck development
- Feedback from in-market experts
Go-to-market strategy development
- Customised advice on go-to-market strategies
- Education on competitor analysis, user research and testing, team building, budgeting, and sales and marketing
- Product deep dives and customer needs analysis
Potential partner introductions and business matching
- Targeted 1:1 business matching - for example, introductions to potential business partners, customers and investors
- Sessions with UK industry leaders on topics such as selling in the UK, brand presence, negotiating with buyers, navigating public procurement
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have between 3 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Have a valid ABN (Australian Business Number) registered for NSW
- Have a commercial product or service
- Have a website featuring the product or service (marketing and promotional costs might be reimbursed through the NSW Export Assistance Grant)
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the market
- Have a product or service that is produced primarily in NSW
- Be willing to travel to Sydney for events and to the selected market (where and when COVID-19 restrictions permit travel), and must cover their own travel expenses
- Not be considered a trader (meaning the Program is for businesses that produce and add value in NSW)
The ideal participant
- Revenue generating with some experience exporting
- Well-resourced for expansion
- Some leads in the UK
- Unique and innovative medtech product
- Compelling proposition for market
- Awareness of competitors
Some businesses are not eligible for this program
- No customers and/or not earning money yet
- No plans to sell into the UK within next 12 months
- 2020–21 Going Global Export Program “Tech to UK” participants
Note: Apply for your preferred market - you can apply for and participate in only 1 stream.
Applications open on 12 November 2021 and close on 12 December 2021.