Medtech and Digital Health to the United States of America
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to expand medical technologies or digital health to the US. Applications have closed.
March to August 2022
BIO International Convention, San Diego, 13 to 16 June 2022
Why this market
The US has largest medical technology market in the world, worth $US156 billion (in 2020). It accounts for 40% of the global medical device industry.
In 2020, the US imported US$27.6 billion worth of medical instruments and devices.
The US is Australia's second largest medtech market, and in 2020, Australian medtech companies exported $US69 million to the US.
With a high demand for digital health solutions, the US spends twice as much on health per person as other OCED countries. The digital health market in the US is expected to reach US $600 billion by 2040.
An ageing population, presence of chronic disease and high medical costs will continue to drive demand for medtech in the US. Trends include ehealth, remote care, mobile health apps, 3D printing and portable diagnostics.
- Pitch training including one-on-one coaching
- Developing a US export plan and steps to achieve long-term growth
- Briefings from US experts on medtech and digital health export and expansion opportunities in key locations
- US Industry Standards and regulations
- Tailored services to diagnose your needs and introduce you to US customers, distributors, and partners
In-market assistance and logistical support
- Virtual or in-person attendance at BIO 2022, plus on-the-ground export support from NSW Government officials
- One-on-one introductions to key influencers and stakeholders
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have between 3 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Have a valid ABN (Australian Business Number) registered for NSW
- Have a commercial product or service
- Have a website featuring the product or service (marketing and promotional costs might be reimbursed through the NSW Export Assistance Grant)
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the market
- Have a product or service that is produced primarily in NSW
- Be willing to travel to Sydney for events and to the selected market (where and when COVID-19 restrictions permit travel), and must cover their own travel expenses
- Not be considered a trader (meaning the Program is for businesses that produce and add value in NSW)
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Products or services successfully commercialised in Australian market
- Have financial resources to support expansion to US market
The ideal participant
- Product fit for US market
- May already have a US employee or US team in place
- May already have US customers or an anchor client in the US
Some businesses are not eligible for this program
- 2020-21 US Going Global Program “Tech to USA” participants
- Contract Research Organisations
- Local Health Districts
Applications closed on 6 February 2022.