Food and Beverage to the United States of America
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to export food, beverage, and agricultural products to the USA. Applications closed on 29 January 2023.
February to July 2023
Summer Fancy Food Show in New York City | 25-27 June 2023. In-person attendance at the event is required.
Why this market
The U.S. packaged food market size was valued at USD 1.03 trillion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate of 4.8% from 2022 to 2030. Supermarkets and grocery stores still account for the vast majority of retail food and beverage sales in the U.S. (constituting 86% of food retail sales). Moreover, the USA is a dominant player in the global food and beverage retail market, as 9 of the 15 largest food retailers worldwide are headquartered here (Source: Zippa 2022).
The ever-evolving market consumer trends ensure there are opportunities for a wide range of food and beverage companies. For instance, demands for healthier foods made with natural ingredients (low-calorie, low fat, free from genetically modified organisms, etc.) are surging. This yields new opportunities for organic and natural companies looking to explore this market.
As one of the largest global food markets by revenue volume, the U.S. market is an ideal destination for NSW companies. With over 63,000 licensed grocery stores and supermarkets across the country, there is plenty of shelf-space for unique and innovative brands!
- Welcome session – around 21 February (TBC)
- Introduction to the U.S. F&B ecosystem
- Access to 13 self-serve factsheets developed by the Export Council of Australia exclusively for Going Global participants
- Access to Intellectual Property protection briefings from IP Australia
Market intelligence and cultural training
- Market briefing and subsector-specific opportunities in the U.S.
- Market specific business culture and etiquette
- Regulatory requirements
- FDA registration assistance
- U.S. labelling assistance
Preparation to meet potential partners/customers
- Refining your pitch for an American audience
- 1:1 pitch coaching
Potential partner search and introductions
- In-person participation at Summer Fancy Food tradeshow with In-market assistance and logistical support from Investment NSW
- Identification of potential partners attending tradeshow
- Targeted 1:1 business matching meetings
Ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) registered for NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have an employee number between 5 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- The product or service must be produced primarily in NSW
- The product or service is achieving sales already
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the new market
- Be flexible regarding market-entry method
- Have resources to support marketing and development for a new market
- Be willing to travel to the selected market (where and when travel is permitted) and/or to Sydney for events, and must cover own travel expenses
Note this program is designed for NSW businesses who produce and own their own brand. This program is not for aggregators, traders, or businesses who sell services to exporters
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Products and exhibited SKUs must be US FDA compliant and/or obtain the US Department of Agriculture Food and Safety and Inspection Service (USDA FSIS) establishment listing by 15 May 2023, for dispatching samples to the June tradeshow
- Products must have USA compliant labelling. Please see the Food Labelling & Nutrition requirements
- Funding or generating revenue to support US market expansion
- Have already identified some potential customers or partners in the US and/or have existing market traction
The ideal participant
- Products marketed as natural, organic and/or healthy
- Already US FDA compliant and/or already obtained USDA FSIS establishment listing would be ideal
Businesses not eligible for this stream
- Products containing hemp or THC
- Products not consumed by humans, for example, pet food
- Vitamin/supplement products
- Wine (wine has a separate Going Global stream)
- Honey (due to market saturation)
An information session (webinar) was held on Friday 2 December 2022
How to apply
Applications closed on 29 January 2023.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome around 14 February 2023.
Note: Apply for your preferred market - you can apply for and participate in only one stream.