Cleantech to United States of America
Eligible businesses can apply for free support to export cleantech products and services to the USA. Applications have closed.
September 2022 to November 2022
VERGE 22, San Jose, 25 to 27 October 2022
Why this market
The United States of America has a target to achieve net zero emissions by 2050 and carbon pollution-free electricity by 2035.
Six of the world’s top investment hubs for cleantech are located within the USA – with over AU$80 billion in investments over the past decade. Large corporations like Amazon, Cargill, Walmart and General Motors have joined financial investors in backing cleantech businesses.
Initiatives to adopt cleaner technologies sweep across the private and public sectors. Infrastructure laws in the USA are bringing upgrades to the power grid, a nationwide EV network, pollution management, clean water delivery and resilience to extreme weather events. The US Department of Agriculture has set a goal to boost production while reducing the sector’s environmental footprint by 50%.
- Welcome session
Market intelligence briefings and cultural training
- The USA clean tech ecosystem
- Go-to-market strategy
- Pitch coaching
- Setup (business registration, tax and structure)
- Raising capital in the US (preparation, representation and legal)
- Access to mentor(s) to advise your business on USA expansion
- A ticket for one delegate to attend Verge 22 in San Jose
- Opportunities to network with potential customers and partners
Program debrief, ongoing advice and follow up
- Ongoing support provided by a dedicated NSW Government Export Adviser
Note: The curriculum is subject to change.
Participation requirements and success factors
Eligibility for the overall Program
- Have headquarters in NSW
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) registered for NSW
- Be export-capable and export-ready
- Have an employee number between 3 and 199 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Produce the product or service primarily in NSW under your own brand (this program is not for aggregators, traders or businesses who sell services to exporters)
- Be selling the product or service already
- Have a website featuring the product or service
- Be prepared to adapt the product or service for the new market
- Be flexible regarding market-entry method
- Have resources to support marketing and development for a new market
- Be willing to travel to the selected market and/or Sydney for events (where and when travel is permitted), and must cover own travel expenses
Additional eligibility requirements for this stream
- Funding or generating revenue to support US market expansion
- Clear pathway to profitability or already a profitable business
- Customers and partners in the US identified and/or some market traction
The ideal participant
- Unique and innovative cleantech product
- Compelling proposition for the US market
- Have established a US product-market fit
- May already have a US employee or US team in place
- May already have US customers or partners
- Commitment to scale to the US within the next 12 months
- Ideal product categories for Verge 22:
- Clean energy
- Sustainable transportation
- Carbon removal
- Regenerative food systems
- Net-zero buildings
Businesses not eligible for this stream
- No customers and/or not generating revenue
- Consulting business to technology rather than a technology business.
- Previous Going Global Export Program participants to United States of America
Applications closed on Wednesday 31 August 2022.