Greater Sydney’s 24-hour economy
Sydneysiders deserve a 24-hour global city.
Sydney has long been Australia’s largest city and only truly global metropolis, recognised globally as a world-class cultural and entertainment hub.
The pandemic has presented us with a unique opportunity to re-think how we engage with our city to:
- extend the economic vibrancy of the day into the night
- support our most affected sectors through a strategy for growth
- collaborate with industry and local government to awaken hubs of community activity and entertainment across Greater Sydney.
24-Hour Economy Strategy
The 24-Hour Economy Strategy was released in September 2020 with Michael Rodrigues beginning duties as the 24-Hour Economy Commissioner in March 2021.
The Strategy lays out a unified vision that will transform Greater Sydney into a 24-hour economy centre that is vibrant, diverse, inclusive and safe. Building a vibrant and strong 24-hour economy will need to be a collaborative and coordinated effort between the NSW Government, local councils, industry and communities.
The Strategy comprises five strategic pillars, each of which address a distinct opportunity area in Greater Sydney’s 24-hour economy:
- Provide more integrated planning and place-making which will see increased state and local government and industry collaboration to build an environment in which the 24-hour economy can thrive
- Encourage the diversification of night-time activities by supporting a wider variety of businesses at night
- Support industry and cultural development to help businesses and cultural entrepreneurs access and thrive in the 24-hour economy
- Explore ways to enhance mobility and improve connectivity between 24-hour hubs through safe and reliable transport
- Change the narrative for Sydney to bring locals and outside visitors into Sydney at night, observing and encouraging healthy behaviours.
Download the strategy (PDF, 3.4 MB)
The Neon Grid is your guide to Sydney’s 24-hour economy. Through the newsletter we will share industry information, events and news about support programs to assist Greater Sydney’s transformation into a 24-hour economy centre that is vibrant, diverse, inclusive and safe.
24-Hour Economy Advisory Group
NSW Government is determined to unlock the potential and grow jobs across our 24-hour economy. As we rebuild from the COVID-19 pandemic, supporting a vibrant, safe and diverse 24-hour economy will enhance NSW’s standing as a global destination.
To help us achieve this, we are seeking Expressions of Interest (EOIs) from organisations to be a member of a 24-Hour Economy Advisory Group. The group will work closely with the Office of the 24-Hour Economy Commissioner and other NSW Government stakeholders to support the delivery of the 24-Hour Economy Strategy, and a range of other workstreams and initiatives. It will provide a platform for stakeholders to submit ideas and feedback, based on the views and experiences of their communities.
EOIs are encouraged from organisations including peak associations, councils, cultural and sports institutions and businesses within the 24-hour economy sector. Group members are likely to meet every quarter and serve for a term of one year.
The closing date for EOIs was 5pm, Friday 9 July 2021. Applications are currently being reviewed.